Thread: Removing Decals
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I removed the front and rear decals this last year. Used a heat gun and plastic scraper first. Some came off fairly easily. Many areas were very difficult coming off in tiny pieces. Bought a 3M eraser wheel. Much easier. And a benefit of the eraser wheel is that a lot of the adhesive material balls up with the decal and flakes off in little pieces making final removal of the adhesive easier. I used 3M adhesive remover. I would spread a stream of it across and above an area where a decal had been removed, let the liquid "sheet" down over the adhesive, catching it in a towel held below that area, and use the well soaked towel to wipe the adhesive away. If the towel is well saturated, the adhesive will just melt away.

Using an eraser wheel you need a good corded 3/8" drill. It does give it a good work out. I don't think a 1/4" drill would have the necessary power. And a rechargeable would probably not last long on a charge. I would "erase" a section of decal, then remove the that adhesive while the drill was cooling as it would get pretty warm.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote