View Single Post
Old 06-14-2006, 12:08 PM   #39
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I would never hook up my unit without wheel chocks. They are on my check list.
I agree that high blocking will help make your unit more stable but I never high block and if I were high blocked years back when an earthquake hit our campground in Chula Vista, California, no doubt in my mind, the Fiver would have shook off the blocks. I live and camp in earthquake zones, no high blocking for me. I am happy with the stability I get with my front Tripod and my front landing gear down on two inch boards.

On bedsavers, I have Highjacker Hitch I have had for 10 years. I can see the big flat bar slide behind the pin. I check it with a flashlight because in the shadows it is hard to see. I go over my checklist on hitching at least 3 times and I know all about the guy who has had a week to be friendly ,but all of the sudden he sees you are leaving and this is his last chance to talk to you so over he comes while you are hooking up.
I am a friendly guy and I like people a lot. I have as long a visit as time permits and then my rule is BACK TO THE CHECKLIST. My Wife also checks the hitch and she knows what to look for.
I never move the unit without getting down and making sure the unit has no landing gear down, no lines or hoses attached. Would I bet my life I will never screw up and damage my rig?
Of course not. To error is human , to forgive devine. But I would never forgive a hitch manufacturer that would design a hitch that requires a test pull to see if the pin was captured. This poor design has made a lot of money for the guy that makes the bedsaver. I have been pulling Fifth Wheels for 20 years and I will never own a bedsaver because I buy hitches that show you when they have captured the pin and I don't see too many bedsavers on commercial
Ffth wheel set ups.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote