View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 07:55 AM   #10
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
I have the Enkay Rock Tamers and they are pretty nice. Got them from Costco.com for $180 shipped.

I will say it took some extra effort to get them to fit without wobbling around, to stay put, and be rock solid. If you mount them up per the instructions, they will wobble around a lot.

First thing that I did was to take the casting that fits around the ball mount tube and file off the castings draft angle. This is so it will fit flat against the sides of the ball mount and not rock back and forth when the casting bolts are tightened. Before I did this, no matter how I tightened it to the ball mount, it would wiggle around and become loose after a while.

With this done, the only wobble left was from the slop between the receiver and ball mount itself. I tried using a hitch pin to mount the flap assembly to the truck, and it still had too much play for my liking. So I decided to bolt it up to the receiver instead of using a hitch pin. I made two metal straps (5/8" x 1-1/2" x 6") that fit inside the tube of the ball mount. These have a 5/8"-11 tapped hole in each that lines up with the hitch pin holes in the receiver. Then, I torqued a 5/8-11 bolt & lock washer from one side of the receiver to 125 ft/lbs, and the other side to 50 ft/lbs.

No more wobble!

It's not as convenient when it comes to removing and installing the assembly from the truck now, but for the advantage of not having them flopping around, I think it is worth the extra effort.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote