View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 04:40 AM   #50
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Dave and Gary,

I appreciate your responses, and this has started the information I am looking for. While I plan for what I want to do upon retirement, I have seen too many times illness/setbacks that restrict what we thought our lives would be like. Sometimes, just the effects of aging on the early aged crowd (sight, mobility) are an effect.
My current billet with the postal service is a Postmaster, with much work in productivity, growth planning, inspections and other areas related to field operations. After I posted the original message above, I talked at length with my wife about the possibilities of leaving this area in around 5 years (I would be 50 at that time, with 23 years active post office and 7 years military for retirement) and possibly downgrade to a smaller office in an area we would like to live in for a couple of years. Then, do the same thing in a couple more years. For example, Devils Tower Wyoming has a post office right next to the KOA at the base of the tower. Small, but still drawing full pay. Live in the camper, wife work part time with KOA, still drawing full benefits. After a couple of years, move on to something else. This would allow us to 'shed' our property that you must have in home ownership, and allow us to explore during my vacations, the area of the west coast or the southwest. My retirement is based on my highest 3 years, so, it doesn't matter if it is in the middle or the end. Anyway, this has been my thinking, and I wanted to test the waters to see what other experiences have been, and look forward to hearing from others about their experiences.

Alomost wish we could retire between 20 and 40 year of age, then start working until we are 65. Just think of what experiences we could take to our employer.

Thanks for the response, and best wishes in your travels.
Semper Fi!
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote