Thread: G vs E?
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
My take on "reserve" capacity is if I have tires that will support a 3750 pound load (G614's at 110 psi) and I have them on 7000 pound axles, then my tires have a reserve capacity of 500 pounds per axle or a 1000 pound cushion for my rig. If I have tires that support a 3420 pound load (Made in China Marathons at 80 psi) on 7000 pound axles (rated at 6750?? yet they are the same axles??), then I have no reserve capacity. Do the math and odds are with close to a 16,000 pound rig, you will most likely reach the same conclusion that I did, the Marathons or any "E" rated tire don't get it. The only thing I know for sure is that whatever "reserve" capacity is defined as, I feel a heckuva lot better knowing that I have tires that will own up to the job they were purchased for. I have had chunks fly off of the China specials (Missions), I have had blowouts on the replacements (Freestar) and I was not going to give the China made Marathons a chance. Make an informed decision based on common-sense math and you will not be disappointed and if you are like me, won't even give tires a second thought (which is exactly where we all should be when towing). These threads that seem to migrate towards the opinionated views of "I know better" or "you are wrong" serve no purpose other than to confuse those members who are seeking legitimate advice. This is all based on the premise that members who are seeking advice should realize that they are receiving opinions, which are worth about a half cup of coffee! And that is my opinion!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote