View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #17
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
We installed the Genie at home (an HR-34, which Direct has replaced with the HR-44)this fall. The HR-34 has 1TB of hard drive storage, about 4 times what our old DVR had. I can record so much more that I never get around to watching than I could before. Either with the mini-receivers, or with DVRs in other rooms, the Genie in the "whole home" mode enables viewing of recorded programming from all DVRs in all rooms. However, that very cool function requires a wi-fi environment, something most of us lack in our Montanas (although maybe a smart phone with an unlimited data plan would suffice).

Bingo, you should consider the Genie for your home setup. Keep the DVRs (if they're SWM capable), rather than replacing them with the mini-receivers, unless space is limited. The old DVRs provide that much more recording capacity and easily travel in the Montana. If you've been a long-time customer, I've found Direct to be very open to providing "free stuff."

Rich, it sounds like your new Montana is already wired with dual cable runs, but if not, getting a SWM LNB on eBay is pretty easy. After the new LNB is installed on the dish, SWM in the trailer is very nice. You need a power inserter in-line and you must replace the splitter with Direct's SWM version. After that, one cable to each dual-tuner receiver is all you need, allowing (at least in my case) dual tuners using the existing cabling in the Montana.

Bill
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote