View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 09:37 AM   #4
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Update: The truck ran fine for about 900 miles. I didn't trust that the problem was resolved, so I took it on a trip over the holiday. Sure enough, on I-15 in Provo, Utah got "low fuel pressure" with loud whine from the low pressure pump followed by "reduced engine power" followed by sitting next to interstate (in rain & snow) with a dead truck; all this happened within about 90 seconds. I tried cranking it a couple times, no good. I called for a tow and we sat there for about an hour. When the tow still had not arrived, I cranked it again and it started. Made it the one mile to LHM Ford in Provo (good people). They diagnosed a bad low pressure pump, replaced it and got me back on the road the same day. The ESP paid for the pump less my $100 deductible. The only question is, what caused the pump to fail? The dealer suggested dropping the tank for inspection but that would have cost over $900 (twice the cost to replace the pump) and the truck would have been in for a couple more days, so I declined that offer. They ran all their tests on the fuel, looking for DEF, water, dirt, etc and found nothing. I've put another 500 miles on the truck, all is well. So, as long as there is nothing bad inside my tank, I think I'll be ok.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote