View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #8
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
I have seen many folks hauling large fivers with 3/4 ton vehicles. Understand, the engine, transmission, etc. are the same in the 250/2500 vs. the 350/3500 vehicles. And yes, the 250/2500 trucks will probably do the job. However, do not be fooled into thinking you're OK with that. God forbid, should you ever be involved in an crash, especially with injuries, and it is learned that you vehicle is overweight, the lawyers will have a field day with you. Even if you were stopped and not moving an inch, some lawyer (and no offense to all you attorneys out there) will find a way to drag you into civil court and cost you a ton of money and aggravation. You can add springs, bigger axle, hell rebuild on a Kenworth frame. If the registration papers don't agree with the actual weight of the vehicle it will be open season on you. It's all in the paper work.

An example, my old truck weighed 7008# empty. FORD, who built the truck, placed a sticker on the door post saying the GVWR was 9100. But my registration said the truck was legal to 8400. That's 700 pounds less that the manufacturer says it's safe at. But if I paid the extra money to the state and got the higher registration, to 9700, then I was safe to that weight, even though FORD said the truck is only safe to 9100#. Go figure.

My advise, do not ever over load your vehicle. The sharks will eat you alive.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote