View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 03:13 AM   #20
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma in the family room her at the stick house. Bought it 4-5 years ago when they were about first out. You don't even want to know what I paid for it, but30 days later I got a $1200 rebate because they went on sale.

Knock on wood, I have never had any problems with it. The picture is fine for us. It is an EDTV (TH-42PA20) that at the time was a few $K less than HDTV, which was just coming out. We also have 3 LCD's in the stick house, a 32, 26, and 20 inch. I really don't see much difference in quality when viewing any of them, but maybe I just need glasses.

However, the plasma definitely runs on the warm side of the scale and keeps the family room warm - even in the summer. LCD is a lot cooler.

If I were to replace the FR tv it would either be another Panasonic, or a Sony Bravia. Whe have a Blue Ray player. (I just have to have all the new technology - and the only reason I have not upgraded the tv is DW will not cut the purse string she hangs on to.)

Edited: I have left our plasma tv in the pause mode for over 30 minutes while on a phone call with no adverse results.

One thing about both types of tv's is the side bar when viewing in a "normal" configuration that does not fit the sides. The side bar can burn in after prolonged use in that mode (need to define prolonged use) We always use the "stretch" mode on the satellite system. Yes, it makes the people look a little fatter, but then that flatters me!! It is something we have gotten used to. More and more of the HD broadcasts are filling the screen. When watching DVD's or rented Satellite movie you may be restricted to their screen size definition, like letterbox, where the top and bottom has a line. Not much to do about that except play with your DVD or tv settings to see if you can make if full. I have been able to do that on some broadcasts and DVD's. You just have to experiment. Most sets have a "factory reset" if you get to far out of line.

If your receiver/DVD has an HDMI output and your tv has the HDMI input, it is by far the best quality, and on most systems provided audio. Think "one cable."

I recently had a VCR/DVD Recorder combo go south and it was under warranty. I picked up a Panasonic and am using it for the 32 inch HDTV in the BR (stick house) I fed the output of the satellite (Dish Network) to the Combo and the HDMI to the tv. It is an upconverter so it actually up-converts to 1080P (P stands for progressive scan and you tv must be capable of it - 1080I stands for interlaced scan, which most tv's are or have both. Check your manual.)

As I stated in the original post, I cannot tell the difference on the LCD and Plasma. My older plasma gets good viewing from all angles. The LCD does also. But I am seldom sitting that far off to the side that it matters. Technology has improved significantly for both products.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote