View Single Post
Old 04-08-2018, 09:42 AM   #33
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
This reply was a few months ago "Its sometimes easy to bash young folks. They clearly cover the spectrum from capable to in-capable just as people of all ages. Most are pretty capable and better able to function in todays world than a lot of us older folks that don't want to deal with change."

Functioning in todays world is a challenge for both young and old. Granted the younger ones can make the keyboards sing and use new tech in stride. Where their functioning is challenged is hands on maintenance and repair of the basic machinery that allows our world to play out each day. This is getting worse each passing year. They all want to be Chiefs ... few want to be Indians. My old company is in big trouble because they cannot meet rate due to lack of skill of the labor force. I've always been a wrench spinner (Maintenance) Since I've retired, I've received more calls from companies pleading with me to contract out than job offers 35 years ago when I was looking for a good job. I am not bragging here ... the point is we're in trouble with skilled labor to keep our infrastructures humming along and no one seems to have the answer. Just look at the MOC population ... 25 years ago there were way more owners that did it all compared to what seems to be the case today. I'm not intending to bash anyone ... I'm simply pointing out that over the years we've picked what we want to stay competent on and let others (hopefully) prop us up in areas we don't want to mess with ... just like our country as a whole.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote