View Single Post
Old 11-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have replaced my autoswitchover valve once before. They do go bad. You only move the switch to remind you which tank is active, that is, if the knob is aimed at a tank and shows "red" then THAT tank had run empty. You just switch the indicator the other way and then it whould turn green to indicate which is the new"active" tank. Then after moving the swith, turn off the valve on the empty tank, remove it, and go get it filled. Don't wait too long otherwise when the other tank goes empty, it will try and switch to this empty tank and then you are in trouble.

In cold weather I have been (spent one cold winter week in the Santa Barbara mountains in Southern California), the most often I had to do this was about every two days, but I can imagine you folks in the colder climates might do this more often. I have never done this since, and now my warm weather camping my tanks can last one or two months since I use electric heaters. I have heard, some bring along one or two extra 30# tanks to help things last longer before going for a propane fillup, or even upgrading to 40# tanks (if they fit in the propanr cabinet).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote