View Single Post
Old 09-05-2005, 10:17 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
All I can tell you is our situation. First, we would not be without the slide awnings. We've had them on both Montanas.

We don't sweep anything off ours. Ever. Keep in mind when the slide retracts the roller for the awning is on the OUTSIDE far edge of the slide. Anything on the awning just slides off the awning. Possible exception is wet leaves. Everything else slides off. Ice, water, dry leaves, twigs, everything. If there are wet leaves we just let them roll up in the awning. Next time we extend the slides they'll dry out and will blow off with the wind or will roll off when we retract the slides again. We may have some stains up there but who is to see them?

Water. Yes, water will pool on the awnings and even cause them to sag in the middle when there's water on it. Not a big deal. It's just pulling more material off the roller. The wind will blow off some of the water. The rest will come off when you retract the slides (stand back, by the way). If you're there for awhile it will evaporate. We've had ten inches of snow on ours. We've had sheet ice on there. It all just slides off when we retract the slides. And we don't do that until ready to leave. We've stayed in one place as long as two months. I just don't worry about the slide awnings.

They do flap a little in the wind but ours are not that obtrusive. What we do hear we've gotten used to.

Awnings or not? Personal preference. We won't be without them but others feel exactly the opposite. Both are right. You should go with what you think is best for you, in my opinion.

For our 2001 Montana we had them dealer installed. For the 2003 we ordered from the factory. In each case it was under $1000.

Don, we have the same flapping awning strap hook. I solved that by cutting a small piece of that foam pipe insulation and sticking that awning loop to the inside of the foarm, where the glue is to stick to the pipe. It lasted 2 years and I recently lost it somewhere so have to build another one. It's a five minute job and it cushions the strap so it doesn't make the banging noise.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote