Thread: Legal Weight
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2005, 03:38 AM   #8
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331

Accuprep, thanks for the posting. The intent was well served...good info on the procedure to check your weights....the intro comment was the "bell ringer" for those of us who travel out West, have a "near middle aged" truck, and are near max Monty weight.

As long as there is are no "posted" (placarded on your vehicle) weights which are exceeded, it would seem to be a real "challenge" for a trooper or weight station to determine if you were towing "overweight". It almost has to be by truck VIN # to find out the various Mfg ratings, and we have changed differential ratios and have a different tranny that the ones associated with our VIN. The info re the guy pulling 40K with a 2500 (or 3500) and a goose neck hitch and had a "permit" to keep him "legal" is interesting...but, again, only applies to a commercial operation. The weights assigned to our tow vehicles and the Monty by the Mfgs are, in general, warranty weights. Difficult to see how they could be used for "ticketing" purposes. I suppose it could happen if you were pulled over for some sort of infraction.

I did see a posting some time ago, maybe on a different Forum, re a couple driving a big diesel pusher MH who had to "downsize" by the roadside, but I suspect they were really heavy (maybe the "bridge" thing) and certainly over the placarded weight for their rig.

Thanks again for the weighing info.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote