View Single Post
Old 07-30-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
Backcountryasm

M.O.C. #22275
Towing a High Country 379rd

Hello All, I wanted to post my workaround for deciding hitch & configuration etc..... I would prefer your reply's to help me think through items to ferret out anything I may have missed. Please don't bash this hitch or that hitch etc...... Constructive help is what I am after.

Tow vehicle driver; Owner of general contracting firm for 25 years, former USMC aircraft mechanic, DW and I are going to move up to fifth wheel from Rockwood signature ultra lite TT, very fit and am an ardent workout fanatic (until I got injured) recent back surgery to fix one herniated disc and have two others I am now babying. DW and I will be traveling to VA from Alabama to pick up the new unit, saving a considerable amount by traveling.

TV: 2017 ram2500, 6.7diesel, 6-4" bed, B&W turnover ball, Airlift 7500lb bags with on board air. I do not have the OEM puck system, ultra flex tonneu cover (try-fold hard cover).

5er: High country379rd, Lippert std. pin box

My considerations; wanted to keep the tonneu cover if possible, want to be able to remove 5er hitch for full bed accessibility considering my back situation, (Presently use Andersen weight distribution hitch for TT and love this products performance and ease of use.), Had doubts with turning radius and rubbing inside the bed from pinbox left and right swing.

Workaround: Local CW has a unit here but will not do business with these people so I checked it out locally and made my measurements, wish I could back up to unit and test this out. Looked up up technical drawings from Lippert for the pinbox, Andersen ultimate fifth wheel, B&W turnover ball, measured my bed. Drew the attached at a scale of 1/2" = 1 foot to determine placement and radius turn considering the location of all involved.

Determination: (set up; Andersen ultimate hitch with B&W turnover ball); Have figured my turn radius at a max of 80 degrees at cap contact with rear of cab. The pinbox will fully turn inside my truck bed rails without contacting, I can keep my tonneu cover. I am willing to compromise full 90 degree turning as I don't see where I will ever need to jackknife the trailer on purpose for the ability to remove the hitch easily. Will always need to be careful about my turning radius with this setup.

Looking for feedback for anything I may not have considered?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Towing layout.pdf (2.07 MB, 44 views)
Backcountryasm is offline   Reply With Quote