View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 08:46 AM   #13
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
We have a lat 2006 3400RL which we pull with a 2003 F250 SD Diesel LB 4WD. We are running right at Ford's GCVWR stated in the Operators Manual. However we are significantly over on "Payload" or "Pin Weight" so I added Firestone Air Bags on the rear. That leveled things out satisfactorily. Running around 2500 lbs pin weight depending on how well the load is distributed in the 3440RL. Did change from the rear OEM shocks to Bilsteins trying to avoid some of the bobbing on rough roads but with only minimal improvement. If I had it to do over I think I would now just go to a heavier overload springs. But have no experience with that to compare. No real problems with power of pulling through mountain passes. Like all of us I would liked to have twice as much braking capacity on the truck but that is not in the cards so I drive accordingly. Have learned to drive slower on downgrades, 45 MPH or so, and keep it there with momentary braking. Also drop down a gear on the Automatic transmission to add engine breaking. At higher average downhill speeds the brakes heat up much more and causes the engine RPM's to go over 2700. I don't care if I get to the destination a 1/2 later rather than way too soon.! :-) Hope this helps somehow.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote