View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 08:39 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Rich, we all realize the differences in the cost factors that you mention above but I don't think that is what Orv is trying to get at. What you paid when you buy a new vehicle and what you get when you trade it or sell it has no bearing on the fuel consumption.
But, the more options you add to that new vehicle could very well have a bearing on MPG. The more options such as DRW vs SRW, 4X4 vs 2X4, Crew vs Ext cab, Long Bed vs Short Bed, etc can and will make a difference. All the options added to a vehicle add weight and added weight lessens fuel mileage.

But while we own and operate a vehicle is what I think Orv is refering to. A savings on fuel is a savings no matter how you cut it. Having 50,000 miles on my TV and using Orv's formula of only 10MPG (I get closer to 12 on average) and $3.00PG it cost me $15000.00. If it was a gasser it would have been $15625.00. Now I consider $625 quite a savings. Add that to the 10,000 mile service intervals all of a sudden owning a diesel makes a whole lot of sense.

ORV, I couldn't agree more with...
Quote:
quote:if we have to worry about prices then we might as well sell the rig and buy a stick house to live in—with no travel.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote