View Single Post
Old 04-04-2019, 06:58 AM   #28
CVNCheng
Established Member

M.O.C. #18393
We find ourselves dry camping much more than connected. Having shore power and water is kind of a luxury for us.

I run 650W of solar and 4 Sam's Club 6v golf cart batteries. We spent two weeks in Key West (dry camping, Navy Trumbo Annex) and never needed to run the generator. I do keep my Honda in the bed of the truck in the event of prolonged cloudy days but even overcast, I still find my batteries are fully charged at the end of the day. I have an Onan 7KW installed for those summer days / nights when I want to run AC. And I'm considering doubling both the solar and battery capacity so I could run a single AC during the day. (You definitely want to go with Easy Starts if you're going to run an AC off an inverter) I think I'd still be running the generator at night, even with the extra storage capacity but that's why I put that Onan generator in there.

The longest we've dry camped (in one location) has been 17 days. Didn't run out of fresh water nor did we fill a waste tank. That said, after 35 years in the Navy (13 of which on submarines) I'm a little OCD when it comes to water conservation. We set up an outdoor galley on extended stays (15 gal barrel with my 'spare' water pump connected) and I wash dishes outside (RV sinks are entirely too tiny IMHO) The wash water is strained and used to flush the toilet. The rinse water is reused as the next day's wash water and I've been known to catch water from the awning when it rains. But getting 3 uses out of the same dishwashing water (wash, rinse, flush) helps stretch a tank.
Navy showers every other day unless we're doing something particularly strenuous or getting dirty, and we refill drinking water jugs at the Twice the Ice stations along the way. (Like I said, I get a little OCD about water but it's been bred into me)

I never dump on the ground (again, bred into me) but as long as you understand your surroundings it can be done safely and with minimal environmental impact.

The more dry camping you do, the better you get at it.

2010 3400RL
2013 F350 6.7L DRW
CVNCheng is offline   Reply With Quote