View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #15
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
I don't know if anyone remembers some of the photos showing the thermometer and snow outside of our trailer that I put under our signature between October 2007 and April 2008, when we were living in our Monty on the back side of a lake, in a wind-swept canyon, in Montana. Frequently the temperatures were -30 and -40. Like Rich said, "Warm & Toasty" wasn't an option on our rig either, but we had the Arctic Package, which I'm sure did help until the temperatures fell and stayed so far below zero. Still, we never were uncomfortable, but we probably did look like badly-dressed astronauts at times. I do remember sleeping most of the winter in longjohns, flannel PJ's, thermal socks, gloves, and a knit hat with earflaps, and buried under a feather quilt that only added to the claustrophobia I was suffering wearing that hat and gloves to bed. The worst part was having to climb out of that nest to go out to the Porta-Pottie at night. On the plus side, it would have taken a determined coyote or mountain lion to break through all of that gear to get to the flesh when we were making those midnight dashes outside.

Those were the days (notice I didn't say "good old days," just "days").

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote