View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #15
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I had Mission Bombs on my new Montana when I purchased it back in '06, until I had a failure within two years while on trip. At that time, I replaced them with Goodyear Marathons because I had heard they were the ST tires of choice for trailers. Then I joined the MOC and learned that higher gross trailer weights make Marathons very suspect and many Montana owners now referred to these as bombs. Oops, too late!! If I swapped out all my brand new Marathons right afterwards, DW would have killed me because of the cost and miscalculation. The old safety versus cost issue, but I've compromised.

I think with being overly careful with my Marathons I can maintain safety and wait out the 5 years until I will be replacing my tires with probably Maxxis STs.

We just don't use our trailer enough to swap tires out that much. We are also very fortunate that the trailer sitting in my driveway constantly reminds me to keep its tires inflated to the correct psi which is what I do (tires lose air by nature, so adding about 5 psi each time doesn't surprise me) every month or so. For now, it's still short trips (under 600 miles) each time and I do not exceed the 65 mph rating on the tires and staying under its axle weights for all tires. They are also covered when on the driveway. I also swing wide on turns slow down for bumps and examine tires frequently during travel so I feel confident that if these bombs are going to explode, I can catch it. DW is happy with that so far and it's working too. I couldn't have been this cautious if it wasn't for the MOC and other RV forums where this is a frequent topic.

So far so good and in the 4th year into the Marathons, they are still holding up quite well.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote