View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 06:49 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
OscarJ,

You are describing two possible issues:

First like DHenry describes, the brakes should be checked for adjustment. Having this done in a shop is expensive for labor and is why most of us try and do this at home. Many trailers DO NOT have self-adjusting brakes and over time as pads wear out, the brakes can experience fade because the brake shoes are not making proper contact with the drum. You have to look at the brake assembly yourself and look for the adjustment hardware (mine didn't have it). I do adjust the brakes myself (even if I had the adjustment hardware).

Second, if the brakes are and have been adjusted regularly, then it might be time for pads (and magnetics). I've been told and have read that the magnetics for the brake system should be replaced along with the pads when it's due. However I don't know how much of a magnetic assembly in the brake system this consists of. I hope someone can describe which parts of the magnetic assembly are in the "replace with the pads" interval.

Then there's also the drums that need to be turned.

You need to find out the maximum & minimum thickness of the pads, how yours measure against that, then determine if you have enough pad left over or just need to have the brakes adjusted. Beware that a brake service shop makes a LOT more money if they can convince you to replace whole assemblies and get all new parts then charge the same for labor.

Please let us know what you find.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote