View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don, yours is newer than ours so maybe it has changed. We last renewed in late 2007 and only had to show our drivers licenses. We may have had to show an insurance card but I can't remember.

We did a day trip from Kansas City to the southeastern most county of South Dakota. Union County, I believe it is. Town of Elk Point. So we didn't have any motel or CG receipts anyhow.

Don, I just checked the alternativeresources.net website and it is now as you said. Here's a copy/paste from their website.

"Starting January 1, 2010 when it is time to renew your SD drivers license or when you get your first SD drivers license you must stay one night in a campground or motel and show a receipt to the drivers license office. You can do this in any city in the state that issues license. You will STILL put your address at Alternative Resources on your license. This puts SD in compliance with the Federal REAL ID ACT and will allow you to board airplanes within the U.S., enter federal buildings etc. "

Apparently this is a federal requirement from Homeland Security. So this will apply to all states soon if not already.

Don, thanks for pointing this out. We would probably have gone up there late next year on a day trip and not have had the receipts.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote