Thread: G-614 Unraveled
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
70 mile trip? That's not very far. When was the last trip? How long was the tire sitting prior to the trip? Is the age based on how long you've owned them or did you get it from the DOT code on the sidewall?

G614s are a tougher tire than most but they still need attention. Did you check the DOT on all your tires (and the spare) to ensure they were all the same age or from the same lot? Maybe this one suffered more abuse than the others as well. For example, the right side of a rig will tend to go over bumps and curbs especially on tight right turns more than the other side.

Other things to note are how often this tire needed air compared to the others. All my tires generally need to same amount of air when I check periodically (1-3 lbs). If one starts losing more air than the others, that should be considered.

The failure you describe can be caused by so many things including a defect. Let us know what else you find.

I'm bummed I have the same experience as Hamrad when it comes to trailer tires but hopefully not as many times.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote