View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If the Mountaineer isn't going anywhere, here's another idea that won't cost anywhere near $1000.

I bought a flimsy tripod (didn't think it was that flimsy until I used it once or twice, then it was confirmed as flimsy). Instead of spending $100 on something more solid and ending up with a spare tripod, or spending hundreds of dollars for an automatic system (which doesn't support HD) I built a platform of 3/4" exterior plywood, with levelers (5/8" long carriage bolts and use nuts to raise and lower against the wood). I aim this platform north and level it, then drop the tripod into it. I have two parallel pieces of plywood with the top piece has three holes in proper orientation so the tripod matches the north orientation of the platform. NOW, it's very solid and very close to exact orientation and level. This requires only slight adjustments to the dish on the tripod because the platform did 90% of the aiming and leveling. The wood and hardware cost about $25 and with the $45 tripod, it's one of the cheapest and most solid solutions out there. The platform is so low and heavy enough that no other straps, weights or stakes are needed (and ugly enough, no one would steal it).

While this is not automatic, it is way cheaper and since I don't reorient the dish very often, I find this would not justify the cost of an automatic. Plus, I'm pretty good at orienting that thing. Keep in mind this is a very cheap solution and others may make higher investments for greater convenience. Please consider this a very poor man's (or tightwad) solution.

In your case, you might invest in a more solid tripod that has aiming and leveling built in. I've seen these for about $100 to $125 and again, not even close to the $1,000 you've budgeted.

As for satellite service, I've heard that Dish Network or DirecTV have what I'll call "pay as you use it". Apparently they have satellite subscriptions that allow trailer owners to turn it off (and not pay) for when you are not needing the satellite service, and being able to turn it on (and pay for it) when you do want it. I don't do this because I use satellite at home, then drag the receivers along with us when we're using the trailer.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote