View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 10:42 PM   #3
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Had the same exact problem on my '09 Montana while on a long distance trip. I think it is not a rare problem with these things, and your dealer maintenance/repair department should have sleuthed that specific fault after about five or ten minutes of diagnostics, and repaired in about another five minutes.

I fixed mine on my own as well, mostly because it was just plain less trouble than taking it to a dealer even though it was still under warranty.

I figured out which wheel was at fault in a few minutes, clipped and insulated the wire behind the drum and taped it to the axle while at a highway rest area, and did a wheel pull and permanent repair at the next campsite. That included judicious use of zip-ties and a couple layers of heat shrink tubing to prevent a recurrence of the problem. Never had a problem since, although I am about to do a complete brake job with self adjusting backing plates/shoes and new drums this summer, the '09 brakes were the old style manual adjust type.

In fact, I never did have a dealer do any repairs after my PDI, of which Walnut Ridge RV in New Castle IN did a fantastic job when I picked it up and took it back to Oregon. I did have some warranty work done at the Montana factory service center during a National Rally the next year before the warranty ran out, but other than that, I have done all of my own repairs and modifications to the 5er, because that way I know for certain how the job was done and have never had to have my 5er held hostage for weeks/months at a time for a dealer to get around to it.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote