View Single Post
Old 04-25-2005, 05:05 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I also fill the fresh water tank until it runs out of the fill tube. If I want it full, that is. Otherwise, our lights do work for the fresh water tank and I'll fill it until it lights to 2/3 full.

On the other tanks, you do learn about how long you can go. The black tank usually goes 7 days for the 2 of us. I'd say 90% of the time it's 7 days. If we're out sightseeing a lot, it can go 8 or 9 days. On rare occasions, 6 days. When it starts to "bubble back" as mentioned before, then I know I need to dump within 24 hours. If I don't, it will rise to the point we can see the liquid in the tank when we flush. That bubbling back is when the flush water seems to jump up before it goes down the toilet drain. You'll know it when you see it since it's different than the normal look.

The bath gray tank depends on time of year (frequency of showering). Generally about 3 or 4 days. We added the extra gate valve and share tanks as mentioned above when we're not hooked up to sewer. Doing that we can go 5 or 6 days, a week if we're more careful. We're not real careful about conserving water when showering.

I recently changed my practice when hooked up to sewer. I used to close the black tank and open both gray tanks. A day or so before I'd be ready to dump the black tank I'd close both gray tanks to accumulate water to flush the black tank and the hose after dumping the black tank.

Countryguy recently convinced me to leave the galley tank closed so those food particles that go down the sink don't solidify on the bottom of that tank. So, my new procedure when hooked to sewer is to leave the bath gray tank open and close the galley tank and the black tank. When ready to dump, I first close the bath gray tank so black water doesn't back up into that tank. I then open the black tank. When it's done draining I leave it open and open the galley tank. That will clean out the hose with that soapy water and will back up into the black tank, helping to flush it out. If you use a clear connector like I do you will be able to see patches of brown flushing out of that tank. When done I close the galley and black tanks and open the bath tank. Since we use our washer and dryer I make sure the bath tank is open or we'll have a mess in the bathroom (been there).
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote