View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Question about a lever on the oil drain plug.

On my next oil change I plan to install a new oil drain plug that uses a lever to open a valve to allow the engine oil to drain. But I wanted to put this up to you members on what you think. Now that I am back to doing my own oil changes I want to make things easier and cleaner.

Background: When changing the oil one must use a wrench & socket to remove the drain plug which screws on/off. This can get messy as the oil starts to drain and the plug is not moved quick enough. Or sometimes the plug drops into the oil drain pan and must then have to be "fished out".

Potential solution: By installing a new after-market drain plug that has a lever that opens to drain the oil, this should make things much neater. The plug I have seen also has a safety position to prevent accidental opening. This may not relieve me from removing it because there may be residue that should also be drained out but this will be easier if I don't have 15 quarts of oil to contend with. My truck uses 15 quarts of oil.

Questions: Does anyone else have one? Do you like it? What do you not like about it? Does it have a magnet to attract metallic debris like the OEM one?

Thanks for your help on this?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote