View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 03:00 AM   #1
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
New way to screw up.

Just when I thought I had all the hitching up and disconnecting down pat, I had a new screw up. When I disconnected in Jacksonville, FL recently, I did my usual; extend the front jacks, release the hitch jaws, disconnect the cables and lower the tailgate. I always drop the umbilical cord over the tailgate so there is no way it gets caught on something in the truck bed. So as I pulled the truck away, I snap the cord and junction box off the 5W. Turns out the cable had looped around the ball hitch I had in the receiver. I never thought of that possibility. New procedure is to stuff all cables into the back of the pin assembly where I normally do, but now I do it first before moving the truck.

Luckily the campground knew a good mobile tech. I was concerned they'd take advantage of the situation of me being stuck, but they were quick to respond, very professional and tested all electrical functions including brakes on the trailer before calling it complete.

If you are ever in the Jacksonville area, I recommend Campers Choice Mobile RV Service. They are RVDA Master Certified. It only cost me $50 for the service call and the rest of the charges were the same as an RV dealer; $75/hr plus CW pricing on the parts.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote