View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #15
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
Agreed. The drive to McCarthy is not to be missed. I did it 37 years ago in a pickup/camper; I would not have pulled an RV across the Kuskulana river bridge at that time or maybe not now. Looks like they have improved it a little and installed guard rails. Back then, if you looked out the side window and down, there was nothing to see; the bridge was just wide enough for the truck.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...a-river-bridge
The bridge has guard rails today but still very narrow - we did stop and walk across the bridge to enjoy the view down. My understanding is the road is much improved since 37 years ago but still challenging and a lot of fun. We found several rough spots that were not marked well. McCarthy, Kennecutt and the glacier all make the side trip worthwhile. We pulled a 30 ft trailer in but not sure I would pull the Monty in. When you get there you wind up boondocking next to the river at the base of the glacier - wonderful. Top off with water before going in there were really no services at the camping area. Decent places to eat once you got into town.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote