Thread: TV graphics
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 05:16 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Nice job Dick! Learned well, you did.

When I saw "Mike and Amy"s decals in Buellton, I knew I had to copy them. The Montana Dealer can order them for you. They have pictures on the Keystone web site (the one the dealers can access) that show all the decals. What Mike, I, and (now) Dick choose is the decal from a rear kitchen Montana. It is a little smaller than the others and fits very well on the TV doors.

The dealer's price (for the decal we choose) is $5.61 plus shipping. What you pay is obviously larger. When I picked them up at the dealers I can tell you the total bill for two decals was $19.83 (including CA tax). Dick said he found prices to be much more in WA. But still not terribly expensive.

There was a certain amount of fear and trepidation to doing a self-install, particularily while camping at Mt. Shasta. But Mike had watched it done so four of us campers and gave it a shot. Thanks to Mike and Amy, RPHoward, and rlwhit for your assistance! We spent a lot of time positioning where the decals should be. We set a line of tape as a guide for the top of the decal. The tape line was measured seven ways from Sunday to ensure it was level with respect to the rest of the truck. Then it was easy to ensure the decal was level.

Once we knew where the decals were be applied, the rest was easy. The key is to use a spray bottle and lots of water. The water allows you to move things around. The decals come with a protective paper cover sheet (this covers the side of the decal that sticks to the TV) which you remove before applying. Spray the area of the TV where you are placing the decal. Then the decal and and its other protective sheet (it covers the color side of the decal) are stuck to the TV. Get the whole package positioned where you want it (spray more water as needed). Use a squeegee to work out the bubbles and excess water (start in the middle and work out). Once everything is smooth and you are happy where it lies, start peeling the remaining protective paper away from the TV. We worked from the left end, slowly pulling the paper back. As you get to the start of an edge of the decal you have to work carefully to ensure the decal separates from the paper and sticks to the TV. Here again, a little water helps. A sharp fingernail is useful in getting the decal started and away from the paper. Lifting the decal up off the TV is not a disaster, it will stick back easily. What you don't want to do is tear the decal. If you go slow you won't have a problem.

Once the decal has been separated from the paper completely you can go back and squeegee out the wrinkles and/or air bubbles. it takes a while for it dry and stick solid so you have time to make it smooth.

All-in-all, a pretty easy task and one any of you can do.

Carl (& Susan) Youngren

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote