View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 01:01 PM   #17
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gojodo

Anyone who has used the Hughes Dish for Internet access can you please help educate me on this system.
1. How easy is the dish to set up, especially if I am relocating every several days?
2. Can I purchase this system directly from Hughes for my RV or do I have to use a dealer? Somewhere I had heard that Hughes would not sell to an RVer.
3. Can I use this system anywhere across the country? I am wondering if I purchased it in Virginia would I have to aim it at a different satellite if I was in Montana?
4. What is the rough cost?
Thanks, John
John,

We've had both the HugesNet (Maxwell Satellite) and the Verizon aircard. There are advantages to both, and it just depends on how you plan to use it.

We liked the HugesNet because once we had the tripod setup and pointed, the reception and speed were great. We had access to the internet anywhere we had the dish setup. The disadvantage to the dish was that you had to spend the time to set it up and carry all that extra equipment.

On the other hand, we now have the Verizon aircard with a 3-watt power antenna. The advantages for our needs are far outnumbered with the aircard above the dish. Being able to actively use your internet is the biggest bonus for us. Driving down the road and having access is wonderful. ie: finding the best fuel prices and being able to drive there using their map. Or looking at google earth to decide whether or not moving the 5er down there would be a good idea...there are so many uses of the aircard.

We are also very surprised at how few places we can't find a Verizon signal. We just find a way to do without the internet, but that may not be a choice for you.

Our cost for the Maxwell Satellite (Maxwellsatellite.com) system was about $1700, and then $69 per month. With the satellite system, you can get the internet anywhere in the United States.

The Verizon aircard is a flat $69 per month.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote