View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 06:25 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

However, it was slow in comparison to air card or cable/DSL. Taking it on the road was a nightmare. Often there was not a "clear view of the southern sky." Trying to get vectored on the satellite was frustrating. The equipment was bulky and took space better used otherwise. Weather interruptions were common. The $1700 +/- I spent was wasted in my opinion.

The only way I could recommend Hughes net is to someone who had no other choice, someone isolated from all other internet service. We switched to Verizon and, while not perfect, found it to function well on our 5000 mile trip through the north central and western states.
Stiles,
You're not giving yourself enough credit. Actually, you probably know more about satellite internet service than many others. The biggest problem I have found with those who first start using satellite internet service, whether it be Hughes, Starband, MotoSat or whatever, is that they usually purchase the cheapest program available. Those are the slowest one and have the smallest bandwidth. When you begin to reach the end of your allowed weekly bandwidth used, things begin to get really slooooooooow. In our case with Starband, we purchased the top program with the most bandwidth and we've never been sorry.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote