View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 06:55 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Pretty much everyone here knows how Al and I feel about Hughes.

BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NO

We had here on the stick built for 5 years, we have now had a Sprint air card for about 18 months. LOVE THAT AIRCARD!

Now, we did NOT use the Hughes while traveling, we did suspend the service, last time for 4 months, and it took Al 8 hours on the phone with some nice people from India (?), or some other country, to re-start the service. They were pleasant, the experience was NOT!

So, my answer is only partically relevant to your questions.

Some who have reported on fulltiming with Hughes have had great success, others have gone over to an air card.

Our bill here at the stickbuilt was $70.00 a month, and our air card bill is less by about $10.00 a month. We live in the "country" and there is no cable or DSL service available.

The air card works well, some of the companies will let you try one out for 30 days, if you can get that kind of deal, try it at home and at some of the campgrounds you are likely to visit.

No cell service, no air card service. Have heard this is not soooooo good out west.

In the 18 months, we have lost service 3 times, 2 in one day in rural ranch country of route 79 in deep Texas. The other was in a campground 8 miles from Monticello (Virginia). We were in a cove in a KOA, and NO cell phones worked out there. NOTHING. They did have great wifi tho, free, etc.

When we went to Hughes, it was Direcway, and I think we paid like $500 or more for that dish. 5 years later we gave it away.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote