View Single Post
Old 06-17-2007, 06:28 AM   #1
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Laptop w/GPS vs commercial GPS units

I'm just curious as to Forum member's views re the survivability of laptops while being used during driving. I always felt that all that "bouncin' and jouncin'" would cause damage and very premature failure of the hard drive. Just my opinion.

That issue, along with the viewing problems, the lack of a suitable "desktop" on which to use them and the need to either partially block the driver's view or require the passenger to contort around to use the laptop led us to get a GPS designed for the propose. From his recent post in this Section, I note that Steve R. appears to have done the same thing.

We use the laptop for lots of things, most of them far more critical to us than GPS navigation while driving. Damaging it would cause great inconvenience, so we treat it as gently as we can. It rides in a padded bag on top of padding in the back seat while we travel. So far, so good. And, we really like the convenience and ease of operation "on the road" of the Garmin GPS. We do all our trip planning on the laptop, actual navigation via the Garmin.

Just looking for the experience base of the Forum Members....what say you??
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote