Thread: Unit height
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 03:10 AM   #35
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I don't mean to bash anyone, but I think we need to be careful in stating what the regulations are without researching them. There is no Federal Height Limitation on vehicles, the law for height restrictions is the responsibility of the state and it actually varies by state as well. For instance California, Idaho, Missouri, New Mexico, North Dakota and Washington have height limitations of 14 feet. Indiana is 13.5' (13'6" - which would appear to make the 2011 3750FL legal at it's Keystone listed height in Indiana), the majority of states are at 13.5' (13'6") and Colorado is at 13 feet. There are other states that do not have codifed height limits. I would be pretty certain that Keystone, by listing the 3750 height at 13'5" had to do some sort of measurement to satisfy their legal gurus. Whether that was hooked to a truck or not is not clearly specified in law, and could possible be an arguing point. And just to add to the discussion, the design minimum height recommendation for bridge clearances on the Interstate highway system is 14 feet in urban areas and 16 feet in rural areas. Comments, and verifiable sources to dispute this are welcome since we all (particularly me with the unexpectedly high Montana) obviously need to be aware of the laws!
Bingo

on edit: Corrected Indiana height per Krusher's link
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote