View Single Post
Old 06-27-2019, 09:46 PM   #15
penra
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24321
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenb View Post
First, I very much appreciate this forum. We've had our Monty for about 5 months. You all have taught me so many great things as we get started in the RV world.
I put G rated all-steel belted tires on my Montana 2850FK. I checked the Monty's alloy wheel and the stamp says 110 lbs. I had four MasterTrack st235/80r16 UN-All Steel ST Trailer Radial Tires installed. Not sure how these compare to the Sailuns that you all talk about. So far I have put about 4300 miles on the the MasterTracks. They are rated to inflate at 110 lbs cold, but at that pressure they run 123 lbs hot. That pressure hot is probable ok for the wheels but I wanted to back down a little. I tried 103 lbs cold which yielded 113 lbs hot, and they were HOT to touch (because they flex more at the lower pressure and flex creates friction and heat). I settled on 107 lbs cold and they run about 115 hot with less heat than at the lower pressure. I am sure my experiment is affected by the heat of the pavement on a given day, but I tried to match conditions - mostly. With the sorry shape of the some of the highways I feel more comfortable with the steel belted G rated tires.
One more thought: I found that not all gas station air compressors can push 110 lbs. At one gas station I tried to put a little more air in my tires and it simply was not working. I discovered that my tires where pushing air into the gas station air tank - not good!
I was wondering about how to get that kind of pressure. I'm looking at for a portable compressor that is suitable and won't take all day to get to 110#. ViAir has some offerings that might work but pricey. Any ideas?
penra is offline   Reply With Quote