Thread: Generator
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 09:42 PM   #32
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
I found this on the Airstream forum last night and thought it had some good info to share.

"Maybe I can simplify the background . (or not )

This is an oversimplification because I will omit a few safety/grounding points that might make it harder to understand the basics

There are really only 3 wires coming in to the typical 50/30amp campsite hook up box.

--------------HOT1

--------------Neutral

--------------HOT2

All 110v consumer appliance/devices really only "need" 2 wires to work. Current comes into the appliance via HOT1 and then current flows out of the appliance through the 2nd wire to Neutral. OR Current comes into the appliance via HOT2 and then out to Neutral.

If you have a 30amp setup like most Airstream it is all 110v. In the RV campsite your 30 amp outlet is really only using 2 wires - either HOT1 and Neutral or, HOT2 and Neutral. The third wire in your 30amp plug/cord is for safety/ground.

220v consumer appliance/devices also really only "need" 2 wires to work. You hook 2 wires across HOT1 and HOT2 you get 220v and more current/power.

By bringing all 3 wires into an RV (not most Airstreams) it can run both 220v appliances (HVAC) or 110v appliances and have far more current and power. This 50amp service outlet at the campsite is really only using 3 wires - HOT1, HOT2 and Neutral. The fourth wire in a 50 amp plug/cord is for safety/ground.

To answer your question, YES. The 50-to-30 amp pigtail simply picks up Neutral, the saftey ground wire, and either HOT1 or HOT2. There is no electrical connection to the other Hot wire.."