View Single Post
Old 08-12-2006, 06:26 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I am not an electrician. Experiences in my stick house, due to lightening, sent me looking for "whole house" surge protection. These little surges protectors that we plug into will not do the job if there is an onsite or near site strike. I would not purpose to tell anyone what to get because I don't know enough to ask the right questions. But I got alot of questionable advice from people wanting to sell me stuff.

When I had the problem at the stick house, had a conversation with the power company workers. I asked them about different kinds of surge protection and what was effective and what was just window dressing. I don't have with me in Hong Kong the information I had gathered. But I can recommend the power company information services as a possible source of accurate information concerning surge protection products and their effectiveness.

This I do know: surge protection needs to be between the souce of power and your rig. It will then protect from upline surges that you may not even know about. Then it shoukd be supplimented by the smaller, individual equipment surge protectors. If you get a direct hit or a very near hit, there may be very little that can be done to totally protect your electronics.

Stiles n Dianna
"Life is an adventure unfolding"
03 3670RL Big Sky
02 Ford F250 Lariat Longbox 7.3L PSD
Hypertech Programmer III
Prodigy

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote