View Single Post
Old 11-14-2019, 09:47 AM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
General Cold Weather Questions

2007 3400RL. We lived in the unit in 2006-2007 for almost 18 months while waiting for our current stick house to be built. We are in San Antonio, TX but the winter of 06-07 we did have almost a week of freezing weather with a lot of precipitation. Retired in 2016 and just now getting around to using the Montana more and more. Until now have just done warm weather travel, but DW and I have the urge to travel more when it is colder. Some general questions for you experts that routinely camp in cold weather:
1. Water supply: my normal water hookup (from CG supply to trailer) consists of a pressure regulator-water filter (Systems IV)-hose to trailer all with quick disconnects. I do have a heated water hose which I am using right now as we are in Amarillo, TX for about a week. The CG folks assured me that their water supply is pressure regulated and pure to drink and strongly suggested that I just use my heated water hose as they "have seen water filters freeze and burst many times" so that's what I did last night. The CG water supply is well insulated and has a pipe heater attached (electric) as well. What do you folks do? How do you insulate a pressure regulator and/or water filter?
2. Water supply number 2: how cold does it need to get for you to use a heated water hose? The CG folks here reminded me that with wind chill that a heated water hose is recommended for any temps close to freezing.
3. Trailer interior: we typically use two electric space heaters, one in the bedroom and one in the kitchen, well away from the thermostat. I fully realize that the furnace does need to run to keep the belly warm. What I have done in the past is to set the trailer thermostat on about 60 at night and set the thermostat on the space heaters on 64-67 depending on how cold it is expected to get. I don't mind burning some propane just don't want to go through a full tank every day or two.
Thanks for any and all advice from you more experienced folks!
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote