View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by indy roadrunner

Wait a minute firetrucker, why would you put chains on a Montana? If those things come loose you have tore up a lot of stuff before you can stop.
In Colorado when they say "chain up" for all vehicles, that includes one braking wheel on the trailer. On those days, they even make you chain up 4X4, but its rare. What isn't that rare is seeing it snow on I-70 in July here. I remember wearing shorts and sandles towing the boat and having to reach out and lock in to 4X4 because of ice on Monarch Pass. Gotta love it.

As far as off-road - chains are good for mud, but they don't do much for sand. In fact, they just ensure you are going to end up buried to the rear view mirrors. If you were to carry anything, you're steps ahead with a tow chain or even a winch. Maybe it's just my age, but I don't carry any of it anymore. After years of it rusting to the floorboards under the seat, I've just learned to steer clear of areas that would get me in trouble. (when I was 30, I steered towards it! - you weren't a MAN unless you had to wipe the mud off the bowtie in the front when you got home).
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote