Thread: Alaska 2019
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 02:09 PM   #8
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I did the fly/drive to cold foot - very nice trip. While in Fairbanks do the buffet at a downtown park. Don't remember if it is daily or not. You can try 3 kinds of salmon and a couple of other fish. We didn't know which salmon we liked, do we found out - but now don't remember!!!! Also while there (I never made it but wanted to) there is a place about 70 miles north or east where there is a 'ice restaurant' - all made in an 'ice house?'.
As for drive the top of the world, I did it and wouldn't want to do it again. The Canadian side was a nice, pretty smooth gravel road. Once over the border, the USA gets your hopes up with 7 miles of pavement. Then it becomes a road on top of whatever the earth contain. Boulders underground showing thru the surface, narrow - can barely pass another vehicle. I like mountain and dirt roads but this was ROUGH!
Slow down for every red/orange flag on the side of the road. My first one, I slowed to 20-25 mph, but was not bad. So next one I slowed to 40 and about got shook out of my clothes!!!
Have fun

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote