Thread: LT TIRES
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 04:43 AM   #47
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Scott, if I got your dander up I apologize but have you added up the weight on your rig. Your trailer has a gross weight of almost 17k lbs, you have Marathon tires on that are rated to 3420 lbs. Even if you figure your pin weight at 3000 lbs, which it probably isn't, that still leaves 14k lbs on the tires. So that figures at 3500 lbs a tire????? Now it is a crying shame that Keystone cut it that close or even over loaded the tires. But that also means they may have put 6000 lb axles under it. What axles do you have, I couldn't find an axle rating. But I do see they have the G614's as an option. That heavy they should be standard. I hope they put 7k lb axles on it so you can remedy that with the G rated tires. In most cases if you have Marathons an LT tire will be an improvement, but in your case I would not recommend them either even though I still think they would be a step up. Remember the government testing holds passenger tires to a higher standard then trailer tires. So even at 3042 lbs they are could be rated to even 3500 lbs but we don't know. Like a tire guy once told me remember they put E rated LT tires on small dump trucks and guys overload them all the time. Not saying that is the way to go, but in most cases if you got Marathon tires then LT's are gonna work. But like your case it all depends on how bad the manufacturer tried to cut corners. In the case of the 3402 it should be a crime....Sorry just my opinion...
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote