Thread: Battery Charger
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2006, 05:14 AM   #7
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I have two batteries but only use one at a time so I will never again get caught in the rain and unable to bring my slides in due to a dead battery. I alternate the batteries by the use of screw type disconnects on every terminal. Only takes a few seconds to change batteries.

My deep cycle batteries have a tendendency to discharge even though disconnected over long periods of time. So for anyone that is going to store their Monty for long periods without shore power, it would probably be adviseable to remove your battery and keep a trickle charge on it at home.

Also battery water levels may go down in storage which will weaken the charge so always keep water levels checked.

Lucky for me I keep the Monty at the house where I can keep shore power on.

On the road I carry a standard car charger but I always disconnect the battery I am charging.

If your deep cycles are completing discharge it would probably be futile to charge the batteries with the Monty system. Even with a regular charger it may take 3-4 days.

The charger shown in the link may do fine for doing a trickle charge but I doubt it would do a good job for a completely discharged deep cell.

Bottom line is to keep water in the batteries, keep them charged, and periodically check converter output for 13.5V DC. Also check for 13.5 when connected to TV with engine running. Do this and your batteries will last a long time.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote