View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 06:30 PM   #27
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm going to stand firmly behind bshgto's initiative in installing his own disk brakes. If us old hot rodders had everything done on our cars buy "qualified personnel" none of us would have had anything to show off at rod shows and runs because we couldn't have afforded it. I realize not everyone has mechanical ability, but for those of you that do and don't mind spending a day of your own time to save a thousand bucks worth of someone else's labor rate ... order the disk brake parts and get to it. I've done a few and it's really not that tough. Swapping out the drums for rotors and calipers is very simple ... wiring in the controller is only a 4 wire deal ... running the lines is what takes the time. I agree in that I'd go with metal lines and not flex lines the entire length. You will have to go with short flex lines from frame to caliper or axle. I also agree that buying or renting a double flare tool and customize your line length instead of looping up excess line that comes in the generic kits is best. ETrailer has it all, but is not necessarily the best price. I got my Hydrastar actuator online from Trailer Parts Super Store, my copper/nickel lines and fittings online from The Stop Shop, some specialty fittings from ETrailer, and my rotors and calipers from Trailer and Truck parts.com. These purchases were a year ago, so prices now may differ.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote