Old 12-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #63
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PSFORD99

I strongly suggest the same, considering it just plain bad advice for someone to recommend any tire regardless of quality if it does not meet or exceed the OE rating, yes, and I repeat many do it. I have no argument that the Michelin is not a good tire, it just plain does not meet the weight rating these fifth wheels need . I would like to hear Lonnie weigh in on this subject of E rated LT tires rated at 3042 on 7K axles, and fifth wheels with the GVWR of 15-16K
I'm having trouble understanding why I should care about how new tires compare to the OE tire ratings? I'm more interested in whether the tire's rating exceeds the actual load on the tire. The only way to know that is to weigh the rig on each wheel, which I highly recommend, anyhow. So am I missing something?

PSFord99, you've been around here quite awhile and I respect your opinion.
My only point is the majority of the the newer Montana fifth wheels have around 15500 GVWR, it is simple math, load one up to max rating , and you have the potential to go over the rating of a LT E rated tire @ 3042.

You are not missing anything, and you are correct, weigh each wheel , and see if you are over any ratings on the tire, wheel or axle. I repeat what I have said before, I will chose to run a tire that meets or exceeds the OE, and most of the LT E rated tires that fit our trailers do not meet that weight rating. I don't want to worry every time I load something that I am going to go over on the weight rating of a tire that is already under my potential weight rating
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote