Thread: Getting ready!
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #22
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Leaseit

Tom, Congratulations on getting your ticket. Two weeks and going for your general ticket. That's impressive and hope you do well.
By the way, have you looked around your local home place to see if there might be a Amateur radio club. I did Google and looks like there is one in Waterford. Reason is this week end is ARRL Field Day and most clubs are competing someplace and they would love to have you come out and work some bands in GOTA (Get On The Air) for extra points. It is a lot of fun and you will get experience working some of the radios and how contacts are made. Careful though, it will feed the Radio bug for new equipment bug.

73's Randy
KK4CRL
I passed the General Exam last Saturday and am now studying for the Advanced. I did look around for a club, and so far, nothing near me has shown up as active, so I'm looking at areas outside of here.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rainer

When I finally got my technician's license a couple of years ago, I downloaded a practice test from the Internet. The group that was administering the test also had a training session on the test for several hours before the actual test. When the class dismissed we got into line to take the actual exam, and the entire time I was doing practice exams on my smartphone. Needless to say, I scored 100% on the exam.

I'd highly recommend doing those practice exams and taking an exam prep course. A Google search will find who's administering the exam in your area.
I ordered all three of the ARRL exam books, and each came with a computer practice test program. It was neat to watch my test scores rise as I worked my way through the books. The first one on Technician was pretty easy because of my electrical background, but the General was more 'radio' intense and was a lot of new territory. Advanced looks quite hard, and there are a lot more questions - but I've already noticed that some of the questions are very similar to ones asked in the first two license classes. I'm betting that since the group doing the testing gets to pick which questions they use, none of the repeat questions will appear on the exam though.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote