Thread: No good tires
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2019, 05:21 PM   #28
fulltilt
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16056
Hi Dan Hi Brenda
This link is to a PDF file produced by Goodyear…it has never let me down, the information found in it, has allowed me to tow tens of thousands of miles without incident, with all types of trailers, in all types of conditions. I use Goodyear “G” rated, on my 5’er, at over 15,000#’s.
If you would allow me to point out a few important points, the pressure listed on the tire is calibrated for 70 degrees F, this is the temperature that many industries use as a basis, not just the tire industry, you extrapolate from there. So for every 10 degrees + or -, outdoor temperature, you have to alter your pressure by 2%. There is also an altitude adjustment but I haven’t felt the need to use that.
Another point or observation that I experienced was that I purchased a set of “G’s” from a Nationwide Tire Retailer in Phoenix, the Goodyear warehouse there was central & allowed me to request “Date Codes” that were not older than 1 year. The retailer did the install, & when I requested what they set the tire pressures at, they told me 90#’s…I told them that was too low, their air system was regulated to 95#’s maximum & couldn’t be raised higher…the Manager told me it was a “legal limitation for insurance”. In the provided link, Goodyear will clearly tell you that 20% below the listed air pressure & they consider the tire “flat”, voiding warranty. I have never relied on tire shops for actual pressures nor wheel torques, I have found them to vary far too often, I am in the habit of checking everything.
Hope this is helpful.

file:///C:\Users\patbr\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INe tCache\IE\DDXFBSMO\tire-care-guide.pdf
fulltilt is offline   Reply With Quote