Thread: Texas Gun Laws?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 09:22 AM   #22
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I've watched this post and had hoped that a lawyer or a LEO would respond to the questions being asked. Since that has not happened and I'm retired LEO then here goes.
What's the problem with telling a LEO that you have a weapon if you have a Concealed Carry Permit? Think of "Officer Safety" it's more important than anything else. If the situation was reversed I can assure you that you would want to know where every weapon is located.
Why does a person legally carrying a weapon have to acknowledge that he's carrying and a "Bad Guy" doesn't. Well that one is very easy to answer. Two words says it all...Miranda Rights. If he is in possession of a weapon and it's illegal for him to do so then for him to tell the officer that he has a weapon is saying he must admit to a crime before he is advised of his Miranda Rights.
CASE DISSMISSED!!! The officer would be the laughing stock of his shift to commit such a rookie mistake.
I onced arrested a guy that had been out of prison for 18 days and on the seat next to him was one kilo of cocaine and a stolen pistol. Would I have expected him to tell me he had a gun. Not hardly the gun and coke sent him back to prison.
That's a view point from someone who's been there....many, many times.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote