View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 05:04 AM   #10
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We own a cambridge and I disagree that the dropped chassis is a clearance problem. I posted some pictures previously showing us getting into severely steep situations. While it is true, I was dragging the jack shoes, the rear of the rig was the first to contact and was a much more serious limitation. The rear clearance of the Cambridge is very similar to the Montana 3400.

If you look at the geometry of a TV and Trailer (clearly visible in the profile view of Maichael and Kathy's signature picture) It is hard to visualize a hill or crown so sever as to bother the area between the truck and trailer axles. You are just as likely to bottom out the truck or drag the trailer spare.

Now for a real, as oppossed to imagined, problem -- The short legs require strategic planning when unhooking. The legs have to be extended just right to allow getting off the hitch and still being able to level the rig when unhooked. We are camped at Hidden Valley Campground just outside Albuquerque. The site slopes to the back. I have no extension on the legs and we are just level with the jacks fully retracted. The weight on the pin (3800 pounds) depresses the back of Bubba by 6 inches when hooked up adding to the need to think ahead.

No doubt the Cambridge is one heavy rig. But, I think the hardwood cabinets, big refrigerator, corian counter tops, etal, contribute as much as the dropped chassis. The big basement is awesome but makes overloading easy to do. We actually have a rather small pay load easily taken up by liquids if we were to chose to carry them.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote