View Single Post
Old 07-25-2005, 06:24 PM   #1
FourBeeZee
Established Member

M.O.C. #3051
Fort Wilderness Campground - DisneyWorld

We recently just returned from our now yearly 2 week travelling adventure and this year took my high school graduate and daughter to DisneyWorld.

Growing up I had made various trips to the Fort Wilderness Campground and had very good memories: those times apparently have gone.

With the recent addition of multiple parks (still wondering why Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon are there) as well as more than the needed "Resorts", the whole Disney theme appears to have become 100% commercialized. In addition, campers are treated as second class citizens. For example, shuttle buses on 30 to 60 schedules have replaced the once familiar Trams that made rounds every 5 to 10 minutes. After finally catching a bus, you have to transfer at one of two "Depots" then stop at another resort before travelling to your final destination. We spent a quarter of each day just waiting for, or sitting, on buses!

Another disappointment was the concierge service at the main entrance. All reservations or information took 30 minutes or more waiting in line and normally ended with "completely booked" status or "we don't have that information". For a themed area that touts innovation and technology I would have at least expected wireless in the campground by now and the ability to check on reservations through an intranet portal.

Unfortunately, the memory I wanted to share with my children is gone. This may have been the last time my wife and I travel to Disney World and stay at Fort Wilderness. I am sure Walt would not have been happy by the changes we encountered.
FourBeeZee is offline   Reply With Quote