View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 07:03 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You need to check on a couple of things. The converter/charger does do what Tom says, but in my case I do use a Battery Minder (similar to Battery Tender), because it does a better job of charging and it also is able to condition the battery. So the first thing you need to find out is if your converter/charger charges your batteries to their fullest. I have read that some don't do as good a job at this. The second thing is to ensure your converter/charger has overcharge protection. I have also read that some don't have this either.

Prior to using the Battery Minder my batteries were drying out every couple of weeks! What I do now is use a quick disconnect to remove the batteries from the shore power of my rig, then plug the Battery Minder into a rig outlet and run its wire to the batteries for the recharging and reconditioning. The batteries seem to be in much better shape after doing this.

Your set up might be different. I have heard of some MOCers that don't do this and have great success. I use a Battery Minder in this way because it works for me and in my case the batteries must be disconnected from the converter/charger for it to work correctly. I have since installed a battery refill system so that once a month a few quick squeezes of the refill bulb tops off the batteries and the Battery Minder keeps them charged to their fullest. I no longer have weak batteries when I get ready for a trip.

Whatever you use, the water in the batteries still has to be checked periodically!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote